Thursday, May 3, 2012

Easy Squeegee Window Film

Being the daughter of a father in law enforcement, I grew up quite paranoid.  My Dad always told me how dangerous it was to have glass in your front door or anywhere near the door frame.  I remember staying at my Uncle's house and I was absolutely sure someone was going to break in because there was a window right by it.  Unfortunately, that did happen a number of years later.

When we were building our home, I asked the builders to adjust the door frame so we didn't have windows anywhere near it.  They weren't able to make the changes so I've learned to live with the windows.  Surprisingly, I really enjoy the light that comes through and I'm glad my builders didn't cooperate with my original request.  Still, I do wish I had more privacy.

I ran some girl scout cookies over to my neighbor yesterday and noticed she had changed the glass in her front door to a more smoked texture.  I was surprised to learn that it was a large window film that can be easily applied and removed.  I'm sorry Jennifer but I copied you!

Home Depot carries a line of widow decals and textures called "Light Effects." 





I ended up paying about $20.00 for this product.  It came in a 36x24 sheet with instructions and a squeegee.  The instructions were wrapped in with the product itself so I didn't see them right away.  The process was fairly simple:

Tools needed: 
  • Tape Measure
  • Pencil
  • Cutting Surface
  • Exacto Knife/ Scissors work too
  • Yard stick or metal ruler
  • Spray Bottle with water and a couple drops dish soap
  • Included Squeegee


1.  Measure the window you wish to cover.  A 1/16 inch margin will insure your window film doesn't become bunched up.

2.  Using a yard stick to mark the size of your window on the film's paper backing.

3.  Cut the film out, leaving the paper backing attached.

4.  Prepare your window by washing it to remove and debris or lint. 

5.  Spray a light mist of the water and soap onto your window.

6.  Peel away one corner of the backing from your window film and apply it in the upper corner of your window.

7.  Work your way across the window, peel gradually and press the film onto the window.

8.  Adjust as necessary to remove wrinkles and to position it properly on the window.

9.  Spray the newly attached film with your water mixture to allow the squeegee to slide easily.  Use the squeegee to remove any bubbles.  Be sure to check both sides of the window for bubbles.


I love how the window looks.  It's not solid coverage but enough for some privacy.  It will be very obvious now if someone is deliberately trying to see into my house. 

Pros:
  • Relatively inexpensive when compared to glass replacement
  • Easy to install and remove
  • No glue
  • Reusable
  • Easy to reposition
Cons:
  • A YouTube link for installation would be very helpful
  • Odor when you first put the product on your window
  • Somewhat difficult to place on the window because it rolls up
  • No grid lines on the paper backing
  • Would love to find one that was completely opaque
Suggested uses:
  • Decorative touches
  • Bathroom windows where privacy is necessary
  • Apartments and dorms
  • Doors and surrounding windows
  • Offices
  • Classrooms
I rate this 5 stars for the finished product.  4 stars for ease of application and 3 stars for provided instruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment