Friday, March 12, 2010

Picture Perfect





















I have a random collection of picture frames scattered throughout my home. We have lived here nearly 2 1/2 years and the majority of my walls are bare. I just get overwhelmed when it comes to hanging pictures. I'm afraid I'll end up with a poorly placed picture or a big hole in the wall.

I was looking through the ads one Monday and saw the perfect picture hanging solution. In fact, I was so excited that I got in the car, headed to Michael's and came home with 9 frames and the template to complete the project. I knew my husband would freak if I asked him to hang the picture frames himself and there was no way he'd agree to put 18 screws into the wall. I took matters into my own hands and, an hour later, I had my frames hung. I'll admit that I nearly dropped a drill from my 6 foot ladder onto my hardwood floor, and that I have some grey hair as a result, but it went fairly smoothly.

I highly recommend this system. My pictures are level but not necessarily lined up well with one another. That said, they're much better than if I had tried to hang them without a template. I apologize that I can't find the link to Michael's but the following link will give you the general idea. http://www.thepicturewallcompany.com/whatyouget.html

The process is really simple. My picture shows two paper templates, side-by-side. Each paper template has leveling indicators at the top of the sheet. Use a large level and secure the template to the wall. That really was the toughest part. Getting one template level might have been easy but two were a little challenging. Next, drill through the markings indicated on the template. The template instructions tell you exactly what drill bit to use and all of the hanging hardware comes with the accompanying frames. The template is alphabetically coded with the proper frames. For example, you might see and 8x8 frame on the template that is marked "E" and you will find that the 8X8 frame is also marked "E". I drew a quick picture of the template, ripped it off the wall once the screws were secure and started to hang my pictures. Hanging the pictures is really easy. Be sure to leave your screws sticking out of the wall slightly so the picture has something to grab onto. All frames can be hung horizontally or vertically. You'll notice that if you closely examine my photo. The sailboats are the original print in the frames, not the permanent ones which I still have to decide on. I plan to swap out these black and white prints around Christmas and as my kids grow since rehanging them is so simple.

There are a few patterns to choose from. There's even a template for the stairs which looks really neat. I know I never would have attempted to hang these photos before I found the template system. Hopefully this will be a way for you to display your most cherished memories.

1 comment:

  1. Wow ... that looks incredible! I love the black & white pictures - what a classic, unified look. Even if your sailboats are sideways. ;)

    ReplyDelete