Thursday, April 8, 2010

Top 7 ways to keep tabs on your kiddos


I remember the days when I wouldn't even think of taking the kids to the zoo without my husband in tow. It seemed like my son would run one way and my daughter the other. I spent so much of my time worried that I'd get separated from them. Years later, as we planned our Disneyland trip, these memories came flying back. Sure, my kids are old enough now to tell an adult they they're lost, to give the names of their parents and maybe our home phone number but exactly what would we do if we became separated from our kids at the happiest place on earth?

As we entered the park, I saw several parents attach leashes to their children. Really? A leash? I mean no offense to any family that has found this to be a workable solution but the idea kind of gives me the willies. Inspired by commercials for Disney phone apps, I was reminded of my cell phone. I grabbed a ball point pen and wrote my cell number on their right arms. The next day, I improved upon this idea by using a permanent black sharpie. You would have been amazed by the number of parents that thought my idea was brilliant... even Belle from Beauty in the Beast commented. Here are some pointers to help calm your nerves while visiting a crowded place with your children.

  1. Use a permanent, easy to read, marker and write your phone number somewhere visible on your child.
  2. If using suntan lotion, your ink will smear or not adhere. Consider writing the number on the upper arm under a sleeve or across your little one's stomach.
  3. Do not write your child's name or your name on your child. A stranger could use this information to make your child more comfortable when interacting with them. Imagine a stranger approaching your child, calling him/her by name and then saying, "your mommy (insert name here) told me to come get you. " Your child would likely wipe the stranger danger from his mind... a person isn't a stranger if they know my name or my Mom's name right?
  4. If you can't find a spot to write on your child, use a name badge to write your number on and attach it to his or her shirt. Or, make a pin on button with your number written on it.
  5. Take a photograph of your child before entering the attraction. Having a current photo with the clothes your child is wearing that day will allow for a better search should your child turn up missing.
  6. If you want to go hi-tech, consider a GPS unit available at best buy and other electronic dealers.
  7. If you're looking for a more stylish, more expensive way to tag your kiddos, check out this cool website. http://store.safetytat.com/store/

No comments:

Post a Comment