Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hello World!

I find myself constantly saying, "I so had that idea!"

For example, I had sketches and notes about provocraft's gypsy for the Cricut just months before it came out. Those disposable restaurant placemats that stick to the table could have made me a millionaire. My husband reminds me it's not the idea, it's the implementation. After all, it was my Great Grandfather that invented the binding for the spiral notebook and also the Chinese takeout cartons. Unfortunately, he never patented these ideas so here I sit when I could be living the high life!

While I'm not looking to have the next million dollar idea, I want to help you by putting my ideas out there. No longer will I say, "I so thought of that!" Instead, I'll say, "Hey, I put that on my blog months ago and tons of people benefited from it!"


2/9/2010

School Station

It's your typical Monday morning. I hit the snooze bar one too many times and have barely found time to brush my own hair, let alone my screaming 3-year-old's. My kid's school work is scattered across the table and it's due today! We rush through breakfast, get in the car and zip out the door. On the way, my daughter reminds me it's show & tell and she needs to find something that starts with the letter 'Z'. In a panic, I start digging through my car looking for a zebra, a zinc lozenge, God forbid a zucchini left somewhere in my trunk from my last grocery run! Finally it hits me, the zipper on her pullover sweater! Bingo! See I had it planned all along. We get to school and my stomach drops as I realize that the permission slip for the... you guessed it, 'Z'oo is due today! Eeek! I quickly grab it from my visor, fill in the necessary information and grab what cash I have left in my purse and quickly shove it in my son's tote bag.

Does this sound like you? We used to have mornings like this and, needless to say, it left me far from deserving the "Mother of the Year" award. Here's how we conquered it.

Necessary Supplies:

(One for you and one for each child)

-Magazine File

-3-ring binder (a different color for each person)

-dividers

-A blank calendar (1 month per page)

*I printed this out from outlook

-A spiral notebook

-Sturdy folder (a different color for each person)

Additional Supplies

(Keep these in a pencil cup/ small storage box next to the files)

-3-hole punch

-stapler

-scotch tape

-cards with envelopes (blank, non-themed ones)

-post it notes

-A couple Pencils

-Pens (red, black and blue)

-paper clips

-pencil sharpener

-cash (10 ones, 2 fives, 1 ten)

-letter size envelopes

Using the same color notebook you chose for your child, clearly label his or her name on the outside of the magazine file. Next, consider how to label the dividers for your Children’s' notebooks. Since my kids are in preschool and Kindergarten, my labels are fairly simple. They consist of calendar, contacts, newsletters, completed work, Field Trips, Conferences, Fundraisers/ Book orders, Enrichment activities, records and curriculum.

The calendar in the front of your notebook is your command center. I know that it’s 2010 and the idea of a paper calendar has you raising an eyebrow. While I am addicted to my blackberry like the rest of the world have, you have to have a paper back-up when it comes to your kids! At the beginning of the year, mark the important things on the calendar in red. PTA meetings, vacations/breaks, deadlines, etc. Next, mark recurring items such as "library day, return books," or "reading groups, remember folder."

When your child comes through the door, do not let the backpack hit the floor. Take it directly to your new school station. Pull the papers out and hole punch anything you want to keep, file it accordingly. Next, take any homework and file it into your sturdy folder. Record any important dates on your calendar (don't forget to set a reminder in your PDA), fill out any paperwork such as permission slips, notes to the teacher etc. and put them directly back into the backpack. Check your child's school supplies and make sure he/she has everything needed and in good working order. Keep a running list in your spiral notebook of supplies that need replacing and bring it with you next time you head to the store.

Finally, take a look at tomorrow. Is anything due? Is there anything you'll kick yourself for leaving at home? Put these things by your door, in your child's backpack or in your car now! Write a note on a post it and stick it to the door at eye level so you'll see it as you head out the door in the morning.

If you always hole punch and file, record and remember you'll be in line for Mother of the Year!

Tomorrow’s post: “Mom’s command center”

No comments:

Post a Comment